About Andrea Zanon
Operating out of Washington, D.C., Andrea Zanon is an experienced, skilled, multi-talented professional with more than 25 years of experience within the financial services industry. Fluent in Italian (native), English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish, Andrea has received international acclaim for his work around the globe. He holds the 2009 Clean Tech award from the President of Italy, he was an awarded Project Manager at the World Bank in 2012, and he was awarded in Big Data Analytics in 2016 from the World Bank.
Building on a quarter-century of experience, Andrea Zanon is currently serving as the CEO of WeEmpower Capital, which he founded in January 2018. With expertise in business development, entrepreneurship, sustainability and ESG. Empower is a specialized advisory firm focused on building trust and partnerships with clients to close the knowledge gap in green-growth and entrepreneurship.
As an entrepreneur himself, Andrea Zanon knows how important it can be to have mentors and some assistance throughout the process the first time you set out to create a business. That’s why he was one of the first to start a accelerating women led enterprises. He founded the We Empower Cities Foundation in 2017 to provide female entrepreneurs around the globe with early-stage capital, training, professional networking, and mentorship that can help them better succeed. With partnerships with over a hundred global investors and the World Bank, Andrea operates the Foundation in 14 countries, working with more than ten thousand women entrepreneurs. Investing in the success and futures of women is one of the best ways to help your business – and your country – strengthen and grow.
Throughout his career, Andrea has consistently demonstrated his business acumen and insights through multiple businesses he’s created and grown to success. In 1996, he began his entrepreneurial career in Venice, Italy, when he founded Gimmy-Lee Co, serving as the fashion startup’s Vice President of Sales. Within just three years, he expanded the business to Japan, China, and South Korea, resulting in a 350% sales growth in that short span of time. Additionally, Andrea Zanon founded Aroma Italia Food Consulting – which he operated for five years – and Earth Council Italia, where he’s been the Vice President since 2003. In 2023, Andrea Andrea founded Confidente, and empowerment platform across Football, Finance, Fashion, and Food.
Andrea continues to advise numerous international companies across finance, sustainable development, education and security. He is also writes for several international newspapers on climate, entrepreneurship and sports and he serves as Advisor to Global Policy Institute, ICT4Peace, ASTRADYNE, DaVinci Film Festival, FattE-Bikes and Earth Council.
Andrea Zanon holds his Bachelor’s degree in and Master’s degrees in Philosophy from the University of Bologna. Andrea also earned his Master of Science in Foreign Service (MSFS) from Georgetown University in Washington D.C.
Andrea Zanon’s Experience
Founder and CEO
Washington, D.C. & Rome
- Established a capital advisory to provide financial, technology, and ESG advice to corporations and financial institutions seeking access to smart tech and sustainable finance
- Devising resilience, ESG, and access to finance strategies for financial institutions, and global foundations
Resilience Head, Middle East and North Africa
WORLD BANK GROUP
Addis Ababa and Washington, D.C.
March 2007-Sep 2016
- Developed resilience strategies for 11 Ministers of Finance in 5 years resulting in over $10 billion in investments
- Mobilized $1.8bn and negotiated agreement with 20 countries for the Horn of Africa drought crisis in 2011
- Led multi-agencies post-conflict/disaster needs assessment in Yemen and West Bank & Gaza in the MENA region for $70mn
Founder, and Chief Operations Officer
AROMA ITALIA FOOD CONSULTING
Jan 1999-May 2004
- Ran business operations in award-winning Italian food/beverage firm driving $450k in the first year and $1-1.7mn by the fourth year
- Downsized company during crisis maintaining profitability, reducing staff by 20% and costs by 10%
- Merged company with distressed small business generating $2.5mn in annual revenues
Founder and Chairman
WE EMPOWER CITIES FOUNDATION
- Established an acceleration program powered by a consortium of public and private organizations to provide training, mentorship, professional networking, and early-stage capital to female entrepreneurs
- Partnered with the World Bank and over 100 global partners and investors and launched the program in 14 countries working with over 10,000 women entrepreneurs
- Provided training for over 2000 women-inclusive businesses since 2018 and facilitated seed-capital mobilization for 50 companies
Founder and Vice President
EARTH COUNCIL ITALIA
- Fundraised $5mn for climate change adaptation through the Clinton Foundation and the United Nations
- Founded and designed climate change strategy, and fundraised $2mn for Earth Council Italia
- Raised $2mn in VC funds and developed a health application to boost doctor-patient relations in Africa and the Middle East
Founder and Vice President of Sales
Mar 1996 – Jun 1999
- Founded fashion start-up, and directed business operations and sales leading to exit and sale of the company for US $10mn in 3 years
- Developed and implement strategic marketing and sales plans and forecasts to achieve corporate objectives for products and services and grew distribution networks in South Korea, and Japan
- Expanded business to Japan, China, and South Korea resulting in sales growth of 350% over 3 years
President and Head of Crisis Unit
AMSTERDAM STRATEGIC ADVISORS
Oct 2016-Dec 2018
- Led crisis management for the firm, built a team of 10 across three countries, devised risk management strategies for global corporations and sovereigns such as Panama, and Dupont Risk Management who sought to establish long term resilience and ESG plans and strategies
- Secured eight clients within the first year of operations expanding the business practice into the smart cities, as well as digital transformation and access to finance platforms
- Organized advocacy and roundtables for policymakers and global tech companies on crisis management and resilience to increase capacity and to enable public-private partnership in the Middle East
ALBRIGHT CAPITAL MANAGEMENT
Jun 2006-Aug 2008
- Advised Secretary of State M. Albright on energy in Central Asia resulting in $50mn investments in Russia and Turkey
- Assessed investment climate and advised hedge fund managers on investments through financial analysis and forecasting
- Provided market forecasts and reports by directing market research, analysis, and interpretation of data
Clean Tech (Italy President, 2009)
Project Manager (World Bank, 2012)
Big Data Analytics (World Bank 2016)
GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY Washington, D.C.
Master of Science in Foreign Service (MSFS) May 2007
UNIV. OF BOLOGNA, Italy
Bachelor and Master in Philosophy
As we enter a more complex phase of the economic, geopolitics and climate crises, the Group of Industrialized countries G20 prepares to host its annual in person summit in November 2022 under the leadership of Indonesia President. The G20 comprises Argentina,...
There are a lot of political posturing and acronyms around sustainability. This makes it confusing and unattractive. The simplest way to understand and profit from sustainability is to think of it as a way to conserve resources, save money and become aware of where to...
New research from global investment firms shows that over 50% of the population and investors want green tech and sustainable programs going forward. As the markets and society deal with Russia, Rates, and the Recession (the 3 Rs), there are clear signs that people...